Some of the fears which parents usually have –
2. What if the child needs to rejoin the mainstream school (for whatever reason)?
3. What about the college admissions?
4. How to respond to those who keep pestering why home schooling?
5. Role of parents – if not capable to teach even though have knowledge or capable to teach but lack of knowledge in some subjects
6. Choose a curriculum or just explore different subjects
Why should children be not sent to school and learn on their own at home? In, this article, the author says -
Unschoolers learn just like you or I learn as adults: based on what interests them, figuring out how to learn it on their own, changing as they change, using whatever resources and learning materials they find, driven by curiosity and practical application rather than because someone says it’s important.
In last 2-3 years, I have explored stuff which has interested me, on my own – whether it is history, philosophy, world music or maths. Even when it comes to programming, I learned most of the agile related stuff – due to intrinsic motivation of wanting to know how to do deliver working software in better and efficient way.
List of resources which can be helpful for children education.
1. Jodo Gyan is an organisation working to find workable solutions to the problems in classroom practices
2. Vikram Sarabhai Community Science Centre
3. Arvind Gupta Toys
4. Navnirmiti is dedicated to acquiring, developing, innovating, producing and disseminating high quality, low cost/no cost (LCNC) learning methods, tools and systems to bring about universalisation of elementary mathematics and science skills and competencies
5. Alternative schools
6. Imagine a school where there is no curriculum